Tuesday, June 28, 2011

23 Years Today

23 years.

In some ways it seems like yesterday. In other ways, it seems like a lifetime ago.

I thought I loved him on June 28, 1988. But now, on June 28, 2011, I know that I do. I did love him as best as a young girl who had little comprehension of the vows and commitment she was making could. It was a young love, a fresh love, and a shallow love.

I love him differently now. It's deeper. It's richer. It's comfortable. It's secure. It's steadfast. It's not easily moved.

For all those times I wanted to quit, I'm glad I didn't. For all those times he wanted to quit, I'm glad he didn't. I guess it was just the grace of God that when one waffled, the other stood firm. There were times that the only thing that held us together was the commitment we made on that day. Today, we're together because we want to be---and it's a much more beautiful place.

There are many reasons I love him, but the fact that he is the kind of man that will play 'Butterfly' on the beach with his little girls ranks right at the top of that list.

You're a good man.

You're a good dad.

And I love you, Scott Brotherton.

Always have. Always will.

Here's to another 23 years---and my they be even sweeter than the first 23.


No comments:

Post a Comment