Friday, September 2, 2011

Pick and Six and a Parenting Fail

William's first JV game of the season --- Wren vs. Riverside.

William, being William, travels with his own paparazzi (me), and his own cheerleaders (Madelyn and Carlyn), and his own parental support (his Dad). What can the boy say?  His posse rolls deep.

Scott and I and the Littles went to preschool orientation and then scooted to the field for what was supposed to be a 7:00pm kickoff. The 9th grade game was running long, so they didn't take the field until nearly 8 o'clock. I manned the camera and Scott managed the girls in the stands until after 9:30. Wren was up 20-0 with about 20 seconds left in the fourth quarter --- Scott had just left with the girls to get them headed toward bed and I had packed up my camera and was gathering up my things and checking the time on my phone. We figured this one was in the books. I looked up to see William intercepting a pass with about 6 seconds left and running back a 60 yard touchdown. And me without my camera and Scott headed toward home. Can you say Epic Parenting Fail? Ugh. I was heartsick and so was Scott. I was mad I had packed up the camera and I knew Scott was going to melt when he found out what he had missed. Lesson learned: it ain't over till it's over.

Hopefully Wild Man will forgive us. At least I did get to see his first Pick and Six and share in his excitement, even if I don't have the pictures to back it up. I guess these will just have to do, William. And to think, I thought I was doing better with the sports photography thing last night --- until I missed my boy's biggest play of the game. Guess I'd better keep my day job.

























No comments:

Post a Comment