Friday, September 9, 2011

Regular

Madelyn and Carlyn just finished their first week of preschool. Carlyn gets to bring her papers home at the end of every day, but Madelyn brings hers home in a big red folder on Thursday. We sat down and looked through their papers, and this one caught my attention:


This week was 'Bear' week. They studied the letter 'B', the color 'Brown', brought their special bears from home, attended to other 'B' related studies, and brought the week to a close with a Bear Hunt on Thursday. The bears and the girls had quite a busy week. Anyhoo, the part that intrigued me was the name 'Regular'. Ever since this bear has belonged to Madelyn (or Madelyn has belonged to him, I don't know which), he has just been known as 'Bear'. He began his journey here as a gift from Memaw to her Sweet Baby many moons ago.

Being the inquisitive soul that I am, I had to know the story. Madelyn told me that he was just a plain, white, regular old bear so she named him 'Regular'. Perhaps 'Bear' felt a bit like poor old Edward Bear and wanted an exciting name all to himself. Oh, bother. I do think 'Winnie-the-Pooh' is a bit more exciting a name than 'Regular', but that business is best left between a Girl and her Bear.

One of 'Regular' from the archives:



No comments:

Post a Comment