Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Princess Bicycle

All I want for Christmas is a Princess Bicycle.

How many times have we heard that during the month of December? Let's just say that if I had a dollar for each time, I'd be well on my way to buying some sweet Nikon glass, but I digress.

She even immortalized her request in her Preschool Writing.

Christmas came, and lo and behold a brand-spanking-new, bright and shiny, pink and white Disney Princess bicycle greeted her first thing Christmas morning.

It was beautiful. She could hardly wait to try it out.

"Do you know how to ride it?", asked dad.

A shy nod of the head to the affirmative.

"Ooop, ooop, ooop, careful." cautions dad.

"Can I try it out, can I?", she asks, the excitement barely containable.

"Sure.", dad says with quiet satisfaction.

Mom says, 'O.K., sure, head outside, but I still say those things are dangerous. And put on your boots and your coat--it's cold out."

"I had one when I was her age.",  dad smiles.

"I know, but what if she hurts herself? She'll skin her knee up!", mom cautions.

"O.K., cul-de-sac, here I come!", Madelyn touts.

She, all bundled up in her winter finery, takes to the roads like a princess on her carriage.

Crash, bang! Off she flies from the bicycle, onto the pavement she falls---now with a very-unprincess-like skinned knee.

And that was the last of the Princess Bicycle shenanigans as she now refuses to ride it again because, in her words, "I might fall off and skin my little knee again. I don't want to get a knee injury and hurt my little self."

I can almost hear the "You'll skin your knee up, you'll skin your knee up!" chorus in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment