They were quiet for 2.2 minutes.
I should've known.
"Madelyn?". "Carlyn?". "Girls, where are you?".
Nothing.
When Carlyn doesn't respond with, "I'm right here!" in her sing-song-y toddler voice you'd better get to steppin' to find out where she is and what she's up to.
I found them under the table with a rogue non-washable Crayola marker.
"Madelyn, why did you color your sister purple?", I asked.
"Mmmm. She's just a little boy. She wouldn't understand it.", was her response as she patted Carlyn in such a way as to let her know that it was understood that she just didn't have the capacity to comprehend such a deep and complex mystery of life, and that it was o.k. because she had it all under control (being the much older and wiser and female of the two, of course).
Don't worry if you got lost in that last paragraph---it made no sense to me, either.
Just one of the joys of motherhood.



No comments:
Post a Comment