Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Apples and Doughnuts

The girls and I took a spur-of-the-moment trip to the mountains to go to Sky Top Orchard after I saw on Facebook this morning that the Honey Crisp apples were ready. I'll have to admit, I was not-so-secretly hoping that they had some of those Apple Cider doughnuts waiting for me. When I parked the car, I was more than a little saddened that the window was closed where those sweet little ladies make and dispense those deep fried bundles of goodness. The big 'ole Kitchen Aid stainless mixer wasn't humming. Bummer. I was kinda afraid of that--it being a slow weekday and all.

So, I swallowed my disappointment, and rounded up the girls and headed to pick up a wagon. And then, I smelled them. I was not mistaken--I know this smell. There they were, sitting on the counter with their lids slightly askew because they were still hot from the oil. Dear me. "Would you like some fresh doughnuts today?" asked the cute little Pixie Girl at the register. Big smile, "Why yes, yes I would." How did she know? I must've had the look of a doughnut lover. (Here's where I'm glad I can't hear the comments from the Peanut Gallery). A dozen? Yes, please.
























Then, I did what any good mother would do, and told the little girls we'd get some doughnuts and eat them before we went into the orchard. Madelyn said, "Ummmm. No, thank you. I'd just like to have some apples. They're my favorite fruit." I looked at Carlyn, "Would you like some doughnuts?".  "Ummmmm. No. Want apples."

*insert crickets chirping*

Whaaaaaaaaaaaa? What the heck just happened here? Let me recap: I offered a four year old and a two year old deep fried simple carbohydrates sprinkled with more simple carbohydrates and spice and they turned me down. Cold. There must've been some kind of cosmic disturbance or astral misalignment. I felt it necessary to bring balance back to the force and decided the best way to do that was to eat one for each of us. So, I did.


And I'm not sorry about that, either. Yum-O doesn't even begin to cover it. I ate the doughnuts, they exercised on the playground. We'll examine who made the healthier lifestyle choice at a later time, mmmkay?

Then we commenced with the apple picking shenanigans.

Check out that juice on her chin and forearm.

And yet more juice down the forearm.

And more juicy goodness.

They're saying, "This is the greatest apple in the whole world!"

They're 'toasting'.

They finally got to the doughnuts. They ate about half of one each and were done. And they did NOT hold them up and scream at the top of their lungs, "These are the best doughnuts in the whole world!" 

Sickos.









In the playhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment