Saturday, September 17, 2011

Apparently, the Girl is a Lizard and Not a Dragon

Scott, The Boys, and Madelyn all went to the Clemson game, and had plans to come back and camp out in front of the tele and watch the Tennessee game. It was just Carlyn and I, so we headed down the country to the Hardy Berry Play Patch for their opening day festivities and a little Mom/Preschooler time. Since it was a new adventure, and it was just the two of us, I opted for the little point and shoot instead of the Big Boy camera. It never fails that I always feel a tinge of regret when I make that decision. I'm so comfortable with my Nikon --- I can boss that baby around, show it who's boss and he always steps to the plate and delivers.  And it doesn't hurt that he delivers at five frames per second, either --- which is nice when you're trying to photograph a moving target. He's my comfy pair of slippers. My old friend. My trusted sidekick. I just don't have the same relationship with my little point and shoot yet, but we'll keep working on it.

Sometimes, though, it's about the experience and not the pictures. And that's o.k., because if I had had Baby in his Black Rapid Strap and slung at my side, I would've never done this:




Those trips down that slide on a burlap sack with a smiling toddler at my side and a few snaps with a  point and shoot set on Auto really was the best choice. Wouldn't you agree?






Carlyn loved this play shed full of dried corn.

Little bugger chunking corn over the side.


Proud, proud moment.



My little scarecrow.

We picked some raspberries and muscadines. She's polishing off the last of the berries here.


If fun were measured in dirt layers, juice drippings and corn chaff in the hair, this girl would have topped the charts. That's okay, too...that's why they make bathtubs, strawberry shampoos, and washing machines.

And in case you were wondering about the blog post title....

As I was going through the pics tonight, a theme emerged. She was doin' this 'Tongue Thing' in almost all of them, and it naturally made me think of Mushu in Mulan that yells: "Dragon! Dragon! Not lizard! I don't do that tongue thing!". So naturally, that made me think that the girl is a lizard. And naturally, that made me think that If You Give a Pig a Pancake.......

2 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! Yep, you definitely made the right decision. Especially since I'm assuming the point and shoot was your Canon? ;-)

    That's the cutest little lizard I ever saw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melody.A point and shoot is invaluable for these moments.I have a list of little videos I want to take with my point and shoot after watching lots of 9/11 programmes last week.I realised we stopped taking videos years ago,after our kids grew up.Our video is now outdated and high up in a cupboard.But people who had lost loved ones in the tragedy,had videos to turn to for comfort.It's made me determined to capture moments on my point and shoots, idiot proof video capacity.
    I loved hearing your accent it made me giggle.
    Karen Aldrin

    ReplyDelete